Fan Fiction/Labor Day Offensive 2014
This year's Labor Day Offensive is dedicated to vegetarian bacon, a contradiction in terms (not to mention palates) if there ever was one.
Currently this page is in work. Our ultimate goal is to give participation credit due to those who helped the campaign happen and come to at least a temporary conclusion. We welcome those who wish to role-play in this forum with us, and only ask that when you present your character or cell portion of the events that unfold, you do not attempt to resolve the conflict through your own direct actions or speak for other cells or individuals also taking part in these events. Should you wish to participate by performing some charitable action or group activity instead, please submit report of what you have done to David W. Ferber on Facebook or via email at angelsy1 -at_symbol- yahoo.com. Thank you for your interest and cooperation.
If you have information on Ships/Units that are participants, you may post to the attached discussion page.
We need the: Ship/Cell Name, Member Name, Member Rank, Member Number, and any notes on the type or amount of participation. This is the Honor System, but we will verify claims as needed. Please only list those who participate in whatever way.
Introduction and Explanation
A low-key LDO this year, brought to you by yore ol' pallies in Special Operations Command. Arrrrrr, matey!
Assorted battle flags of MFI
If your chapter has a battle flag that you want to be listed here, provide a link on the discussion page.
I'm not going to step on other people's storylines... er... toes (well, too much). It occurred to me that there are plenty of piratical types in MFI, but we don't really have any fanfic or gaming that focuses on that aspect of the Maquis. Therefore, this year's LDO will be for all the pirates - the privateers - the commerce raiders that MFI has to offer.
Just what is the difference in roles? Well, it has less to do with the activity and more with how official the... er... participants are:
1. A pirate is a free enterprise. Unencumbered by any official relationship with governments, this has some advantages and disadvantages that any pirate movie buff will readily understand.
2. A privateer is a privately outfitted ship whose crew and captain holds "Letters of Marque and Reprisal" - a license issued by a government to act on its behalf, usually in wartime. Sometimes derided as "licensed pirates" by their enemies, privateers were generally considered legal fighting participants in a war so long as they followed the rules of war, but if they stepped over the line, as it were, then they could be executed as pirates without much legal standing to protect them.
3. A commerce raider is entirely official... it is an actual naval vessel with a naval crew, undertaking the same role as a privateer. In case of capture, the crew would be protected by the rules of war vis POW status, and in turn, they would follow their country's sea laws on that matter with enemy crews.
So, in the grand tradition of the British and US privateers in the War of 1812, the CSS Alabama in the ACW, the SMS Emden in WWI, and the US and German submarine warfare in WWII, our Labor Day Offensive will be gamed with these roles in mind. Your chosen role is entirely up to you and your crew.
There's something for any branch to do here... Special Operations can go into enemy ports and check up on worthwhile targets before they leave port, or "cut out" a ship or three and sail'em away. Naval and Marines would have the meat of the offensive in actually taking targets on the high seas... er... in open space, or countering enemy efforts along the same lines. SSD can hunt down leads and police the trade routes, working with the Navy to sweep clear enemy commerce raiders. The Romulans and Klingons certainly don't need my urging to add their own flavor to activities.
Informational Source: SOC Xenobiology Directorate "Finding new and interesting species to kill in new and interesting ways"
Enemy nation: Florkian Unified Commonwealth and Kingdom
Species name: Flork
Expected level of resistance: Heavy
Home Fleet: (3) cruisers, (1) scout ship, (10) corvettes, (23) patrol ships, (5) repair vessels, (1) hospital ship, at least 100 fighters/shuttlecraft/other
1st Patrol Sqdn: (1) heavy frigate, (1) scout ship, (5) patrol ships, circa 10 fighters/shuttlecraft/other
2nd Patrol Sqdn: (1) auxiliary cruiser, (2) destroyers, (1) scout ship, (3) patrol ships, circa 10 fighters/shuttlecraft/other
Merchant Marine: circa (100) freighters, (100) container ships, (200) short haul cargo vessels, (10) liners, (100) tugs and miscellaneous auxiliaries
Basic description: Rumoured to be an unholy spawn of tribbles and the vicious beasts of Caerbannog III, Florks display a variety of subhuman traits that have marked them for destruction. For the good of the universe, and children everywhere, we must exterminate them. Pig after pig, cow after cow... village after village. It is my dream... it is my nightmare... a snail crossing the edge of a straight razor - and surviving. So, brave pirates/privateers/commerce raiders... if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
Objectives of Operation
1. Effect a blockade of the Flork homeworld (the aptly named Flork), preventing any and all shipping from leaving or arriving.
2. Interdict local trade routes in and near the Flork system
3. Neutral ships should be searched at will for evidence of non-neutral behavior, and if found, assets seized.
Objectives of Operation FRICASSEED RABBIT
1. Hunt down and capture all Florkian merchant vessels, cargos, emoluments, &c, for fun and profit.
2. A special Prize Court has been set up for condemnation and liquidation of legally captured prizes.
Objectives of Operation WABBIT SLAYER
1. Eliminate any and all enemy combat fleet units.
2. Use of unnecessary violence in the elimination of Florkian fleet assets HAS been approved.
Objectives of Operation CRAZY EDDIE
1. Bombard Flork homeworld from orbit, eradicating all life.
2. It's Miller time.
Notes on the Florkian Campaign
- FROM: Maquis High Command, Office of the Coordinator.
- SUBJECT: Orders.
The following Maquis assets are hereby ordered to investigate leads in regards to ??????. Coordinates enclosed.
Maquis Assets: [Redacted].
?????? Maquis Forces Coordinator.
xyz sazz wally buboo blah. xyz sazz wally buboo blah. xyz sazz wally buboo blah. xyz sazz wally buboo blah. xyz sazz wally buboo blah.
MFS ??? Task Force
xyz sazz wally buboo blah. xyz sazz wally buboo blah. xyz sazz wally buboo blah. xyz sazz wally buboo blah.
(More to Come...)
Vessels Assigned to Operation Fricasseed Rabbit
- MFS Impetuous - Galaxy Class (Assault Carrier)
- ICV Heghnach
- RS Hecate
- MFS Liberty
- MFS Exploration
- MFS Aurora
- MFS Compliance Task Force
Units Assigned to Operation Wabbit Slayer
- SEALS Team VI
- 1st Maquis Light Horse RCT
- 26th Mechanized Assault Company
- 84th Klingon Shock Company
- SEALS Team 3
(More to Come...)
In every operation there are many missions carried out by Special Operators that pave the way for the main invasion force. These run everywhere from simple reconnaissance to assassination of key enemy personnel, snatch of priority targets and, infiltration of the enemy's infrastructure.
(More to Come...)
(More to Come...)
Debriefing: Summary Report to Empok Nor HQ(???? ???? ...)