Sovereign Class Explorer II
|The Sovereign Project, along with the Defiant, Akira, Norway, Sabre and Steamrunner classes, was one of the new defensive technologies initially intended for use against the Borg threat. The prototype USS Sovereign was still in the design phase during the Battle of Wolf 359. Although the original Sovereign Class was introduced as a 24 Deck ship, the latest Refit design now shows 29 Decks.|
The Sovereign Class starship is classified as an Explorer II starship. It is designed to execute deep-space exploration missions including charting and mapping, first cultural contact scenarios, as well as full biologic and ecologic studies. The Sovereign Project attempted to push the envelope as far as possible when it came to computer power, shields, armament, and systems capabilities. The Sovereign Class starship combines the creature comforts associated with the larger Galaxy Class vessels with the tactical power of the new Prometheus Class.
|The Sovereign Class' advanced armament make it a formidable warship. They are outfitted with:|
- Type XII Phasers
- Mark VIII and Mark IX photon torpedoes
- Mark X quantum torpedoes
- Photon torpedoes
- Tricobalt explosives
- Rotating shield modulation.
- Deck 1 houses the main bridge. This deck also holds the more recent modifications of an observation lounge, a ready room for the ship's captain, and an airlock with attached cabin.
- Deck 2 encompasses the first of the many levels of crew quarters, with rooms for the highest-ranking command staff and an officer's mess hall.
- Decks 3 through 9 feature more officers' quarters, the forward and aft viewing lounges, science labs, the main shuttlebay, conduits for the optical data network, and the vessel's main computer core.
- Decks 10 through 14 complete the primary hull of the Sovereign-class starship, and also encompass forward and aft cargo bays on Decks 10 and 11, and phaser systems on Deck 11. Sensors and the secondary navigational deflector are found on Deck 12.
- Deck 14 is largely dedicated to engineering systems and feature the lower sensor platform. Decks 15 through 18 comprise the main navigational deflector array and an auxiliary bridge, which is also known as the battle bridge.
- Deck 13, is almost entirely taken up by deuterium fuel tanks and delineate the split between the habitable areas and the engineering / ship's storage sections. Main engineering and its related systems, such as the EPS power tabs, the central matter/antimatter reaction chamber, support labs, and the engineering computer core, are spread across Decks 14 through 18.
- Deck 16 also features the launch and retrieval mechanism for the captain's yacht. The yacht is lowered by a set of gantries until its engines extend to operational position and is then free to maneuver.
- Decks 24 and 25 contain the launch and loader mechanisms for the secondary hull's complement of quantum torpedoes and unmanned probes (fore and aft).
- Deck 27 houses the fore and aft tractor beam emitters.
- Decks 28 and 29 house the Antimatter reactant generator and storage pods, along with the lateral Phaser array.
Some Ships of the Sovereign Class