Maquis SIM Project/Comparison
Relative Size Comparisons
When planning how many smaller ships may be carried by a larger ship or carrier, care should be given to ensure the load capacity is somewhat realistic. The dimensions provided below are approximations, in many cases rounded up figures. In other cases they are simply educated guesses. Using these as guidelines should be plenty close enough for most purposes. If the rounding bothers you, please remember that actual ships might take a little bit more deck space due to odd shapes and special support fixtures. Don't forget to think three dimensionaly--there has to be enough headroom as well.
- This list is sorted by the longest length dimension as best as I can maintain it.
- Some entries are one of a kind or only shown for scale comparison.
- If in doubt, please ASK.
- I am sorry to destroy the image, but I may make mistakes...
- Please leave corrections or requests on the discussion tab... it's OK!
|Ship/Vessel Class/Identification (NOTE: All dimensions in meters)||Length||Width (beam)||Height (draft)|
|UFP Starbase 74||8781||8781||15000 [estimate ?]|
|UFP Earth Spacedock||3810||3810||6000 [estimate ?]|
|"Ronin" class [Carrier Carrier P) ] -- Originated in unknown alternate universe. Built by different version of the Federation.
Refitted begun by Section 31. Re-purposed by Maquis with help of surviving original crew.
NO OTHER SHIPS OF THIS CLASS IN OUR UNIVERSE
[estimate based on 137 decks with misc hulls & nacelles]
|Borg Assimilation Cube class||3040||3040||3040|
|UFP Starbase 375||2842||2842||2500 [estimate ?]|
|Borg Tactical Cube class||1500||1500||1500|
|DS9 Station class||1452||1452||12000 [estimate ?]|
|Borg Tactical Sphere class||1200||1200||1200|
|Borg Long Range Scout/Carrier, "Compliance" class. Emancipated, non-linked former BORG and Maquis crew.
Dual hollow cylinder design counter-rotating on either end of a stationary central core. Current overall dimensions:
Internal Bay (x2)
Outer Ring, Surrounding Bay (x2)
NO OTHER SHIPS OF THIS CLASS KNOWN IN OUR UNIVERSE
|"Galaxy" class // (alternate source dimensions) Hybridised separable and reconnectable saucer
Combined ship (42 decks)
Saucer only (16 decks)
Engineering Hull/Drive Unit/Battle Hull only (38 decks)
463.73 (470 / 473 !?)
463.73 (or ?)
137.5 (145 / 190 !?)
|"Nebula" class, alternate Maquis carrier variant||640.3||208.7||467|
|Breen Confederacy: Battle Cruiser/Warship class
AKA Gor Taan-class or Chel Grett-class
20 decks // 630 crew
14 Breen fighters
|"Constitution" class I Heavy Crusier refit // NCC-1701A [2270s]||304||x||x|
|"Constitution" class I Heavy Crusier // orig NCC-1701 [2240s-2260s]
Secondary Hull dim.
Warp Nacelle dim. [2 each]
|"Cardassian" freighter // "Groumall" type transport||255.65||55.13||63.21|
|"Miranda" class [13 deck]||243||141.7||53|
|"Nova" class [8 deck]||180||43||35|
|"Defiant" MK-2 class Escort [variant 1, size discrepancy vs other variants]
NOTE: analysis of multiple sources suggests that this may be the most correct size
[Ex-Astris-Scientia, DS9 Tech Manual, Mem Beta, and others]
Also note that this size allows a Type 10 shuttle to be carried as was seen on-screen whereas the shorter version would not...
See other notes below...
|"Bajoran" Assault Vessel||140.72||x||x|
|"Defiant" class Escort variant 2 [ref: Mem Alpha]
See other notes above and below...
|Cardassian "Hideki" class - Patrol Ship/Attack Fighter/Pursuit Vessel||85.78||60.14||12.43|
|"Defiant" class Close Assault variant 3
Not correct for Defiant most often seen on-screen but there is visual evidence supporting a visually similar smaller ship of the same outward design.
See other notes above...
|Klingon "BaHpuv" class shuttle (Armored Courier)||50||35||20|
|SHARC stealth aquatic submersible||33.4||10||8|
|"Cheyenne" class UD4L Surface Operation Drop Ship (stowed/ship)
(in flight/pods deployed)
(grounded/deploy cargo/pods deployed)
(max cargo hold capacity)
|Type 14 Warp Shuttle
Notably similar in dimensions to the Delta Flyer, yet a differing design.
|Type 10 Shuttle Pod||10||6||4|
|M-587 "Terrapin" Light Assault APC (stowed turret/transport)
[based on old "Halcyon" M-577] wheel/tire height 1.6
|Type 9 (class 2) High Warp Shuttle||9||5||3|
|Class F / Orbital Shuttle||8||4||4|
|Type 6 (Type 8 similar) Short Range Shuttle||6||3||3|
|Nemo Assault Propulsion Units, aquatic ops||4.8||2.2||1.5|
|Type 18 Shuttle Pod||4||2.5||2|
|Type 15 Shuttle Pod||4||2||2|
|"Argo" style ATV Buggy||3.5||1.25||1.25|
|Harley Davidson HGW-1888 "Heavy Grav Bike"||2.85||1||1|
|Utility Craft: Work Pod||2||2||2|
|Utility Craft: WorkBee||2.5||1.5||1.75|
PLEASE: In an on-going effort to build our resources to support creativity, we need your help. We need more information on primarily the smaller ship and shuttle classes. Those most likely to be carried aboard other vessels. Hopefully you can see the value of knowing whether your intended auxiliary craft will fit within the spaces you desire or being able to compute how many craft you can reasonably carry.
- Defiant Special Note -- Various visual and written references disagree as to the actual size of the Defiant class. I propose an alternate solution to solve the debate.
- The Defiant was possibly the first Starfleet design intended as a primary war vessel. In order to allow maximum use of available shipyard facilities to quickly provide these ships it is quite possible that the basic design might have been scaled up and down from the original to fit better with production availability.
- Being a design specifically for war, it also makes sense to have variant sized versions intended to confuse the enemy as to what ship they were detecting since each variant would look the same as all the others based on distance.
- This also would allow a much smaller 69 meter long version which would function as more of a fast, close assault ship in mixed fleet battles.
- The 170 meter version seems to be the best fit for the primary Defiant as seen most often on-screen.
- Problem is that there are various references supporting all of the variations in length/size, so this compromise is offered as a plausible explaination.
CLICK ON THE DISCUSSION TAB LINKED TO THIS ARTICLE TO CONTRIBUTE
Please list the CLASS of vessel, your name, your source for information, vessel length-width-height as per the work we have already done. In some cases you may need to show those dimensions for both deployed AND stowed condition if they vary significantly. Any craft that has foldable [stowable] weapons pods, warp pods, wing structures, etc may be able to fit into smaller docking facilities. In that case, please provide BOTH sets of dimensions.